Sunday, September 11, 2016

Frankenstein

I've recently been studying Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I first discovered this work when I was 7 years old. I love the horror genre and although Frankenstein has never been one of my favorites it paved the way for the my favorite works in the genre. I was not able to watch the movie's as I ran out of time. I will be going back and watching them as soon as I am able to however. The main theme of the novel that I grasped was that one shouldn't play God. The story is actually more relevant today than I'm sure Mary Shelley ever envisioned, from Stem Cell research, in vitro, and DNA replication. Victor creates life from death however unethical as it may be. Victor succumbs to his moral dilemma after his Monster is created. Victor has to pay the price for his creation. The monster begins to kill members of his family. When Victor's brother is killed Victor can't even muster up the courage to tell everyone how his brother really died. That it was the monster. For if he were to tell the truth he would be seen as responsible for the murder as the monster that carried out the murder. It's amazing that Frankenstein is still recognizable in pop cutler. There have been many films, tv shows and even songs about the creature. Every year there is at least one trick or treater that dresses up as Frankenstein. I like to think of him as the teddy bear of all monsters. He's not really that scary at least not like Dracula or the Wolfman. Not that those guys scare me but you catch my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment